Friday, January 23, 2015

Dear Nice Person Who Asked About My Recent Letter to Senator Cruz


Thank you for writing and thank you for your questions about my pastoral reflections for Senator Ted Cruz
I’m impressed with your questions. More than that, though, I am pleased to see your willingness to engage in honest conversation with someone who holds different opinions. That kind of curiosity and openness is lacking in our current public dialog and I applaud your effort.

You are a student in a conservative Christian school and I am a progressive Christian pastor. You say you were “intrigued” by my letter and I can only assume that is because you have had very few opportunities to hear an articulation of Christian faith from a perspective that is different from your own. I get that; I was raised fundamentalist and it was years before I was able to see how very, very large this Christian tent actually is. I love that about our faith, but I know a lot of people are threatened by such diversity. I hope our conversation will help you see diversity is not harmful but instead is immensely helpful and healthy.

I would like to begin where you ended: “was your letter more about your love to serve the will of Christ or more about serving the love of ideology?” you asked. A piercing question and I accept the challenge to critique myself. Any of us who presume to speak up and try to influence a larger conversation must constantly evaluate the beliefs that shape us. For me, I can honestly say: “No” this is not an ideology but “Yes” there is a paradigm, a framework, a fundamental perspective I hold: for people of faith, love of God and love of neighbor must be the motivation behind everything we do.

For this particular pastoral letter to Senator Cruz, I sought to articulate that foundational vision of faith and faithfulness in order to raise the question: do his particular political approaches that I mentioned in the letter demonstrate love of neighbor? Obviously I do not think so, but even if my questions lead Senator Cruz to ask his own questions, then something good will have come from my effort.

A number of years ago, I hosted a conversation at a denominational conference between two of my Christian friends who had both been active in politics: one a Republican and one a Democrat. One of the questions I posed to each of them was: “How has your faith influenced your politics?” 

My Democrat friend had thought long and hard about that over the years and talked about how this notion of “love of neighbor” had informed his work as a state legislator. My Republican former mayor friend was taken aback; he had never even considered that there should be an intersection between his faith and his politics. 

(Of course I am not talking here about unconstitutional influences of institutional churches within our political system; I am extremely grateful for the notion of separation of church and state that is fundamental to our nation's integrity. Rather I am talking about the spiritual values that can foster unity and harmony, peace and justice within a society. And of course those spiritual, ethical values are not the sole domain of any religion; many non-religious people share these values with us. But in these particular conversations, I'm reflecting on the values that are clearly a part of the Christian tradition you, Senator Cruz and I are a part of.)

I don’t consider myself to be particularly political. I am a big picture person and I don’t know enough to be able to craft political programs, policies and solutions to address our societal problems. But then, on the other hand, I believe we all must be “political” in the sense that we live in this society together. (The Greek word, “polis” = “city” describes a people’s shared life together.) So my big picture, my core criteria as I consider how we should treat one another as individuals and as groups of people continues to be the love of neighbor.

You asked: Does someone who is against the Affordable Care Act have less Christ-like attributes than someone who supports it?

The ACA is not perfect but it’s what we’ve got and, as best as I can tell, seems to be helping. If there are problems, then our politicians should tweak the law and improve it. But again for me, the bottom line and core criteria is the concept of neighbor. In America, some years ago, we made the societal decision to provide accessible and free education for all our children. In our country, even those who are not citizens have the right to education. Maybe because I am a former nurse, in my way of thinking, access to health care is an equally important and fundamental right and should be the practice of a just society. People with “Christ-like attributes” can have different opinions about how we address this issue; but if we say we are Christians then I would say the way of the Christ demands that we follow his way and work on behalf of healing and wholeness for all people.

You asked: Does someone have more of the love of Christ inside their heart who supports illegal immigration than someone who is opposed to it?

Look at the way you framed your question, my friend. Do you really believe those of us who support immigration reform actually “support illegal immigration?”

Jesus, as a faithful Jew, stood squarely in the prophetic tradition of Israel wherein the governmental and religious leaders, all the people as a matter of fact, were charged with hospitality. 


Here is my paradigm: politicians who claim to stand with Jesus must be responsible for creating political approaches to immigration that pass the tests of justice, compassion and hospitality.

You commented: I noticed that you mentioned "the rich" quite a few times in your letter. While I am not defending those who are affluent with the blessings our Lord has given them and not using it to proclaim glory to Him, I have to ask: are not the rich paying, by far, more in taxes to the federal government than "the working poor"?

Again, within the Judeo-Christian prophetic tradition, “the rich” carry a greater responsibility for others and suffer a greater judgment whenever “the poor” are neglected and oppressed. And again Jesus, standing in this prophetic tradition, consistently held “the rich” to a very high standard. Wealth in itself is not the problem; rather selfishness and self-centeredness is what damages a human soul and even the soul of a nation.

Also, I would say that material wealth is not a sign of God’s “blessing.” When Jesus spoke of those who are blessed in his famous, enigmatic beatitudes, it was always blessing in the absence of money, power or prestige. (“Blessed are the poor in spirit, the merciful, the peacemakers…”) There is a harmful stream of Christianity that imagines prosperity is a mark of faithfulness; this is not the way of the Christ.

Thank you for your time, you say in your closing; and God bless you and your family. And I say: May God go with you as you keep asking faithful questions. And may we both go with God on this forever journey of faith.

Grace and Peace,
Charlotte

12 comments:

  1. "within the Judeo-Christian prophetic tradition, “the rich” carry a greater responsibility for others and suffer a greater judgment whenever “the poor” are neglected and oppressed"

    Love that Charlotte. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KC Bob. But I always have to remember that means ME! I'm part of "the rich" and share in that responsibility. Ouch!

      Delete
  2. A lovely response!

    There's an old joke about three teachers (of pick-your-persuasion), and how they apportion contributions to the poor. One draws a circle on the ground, throws the money into the air, and whatever falls within the circle goes to the poor -- the rest the teacher keeps. The second draws a circle on the ground, throws the money into the air, and whatever falls outside the circle goes to the poor -- the rest the teacher keeps. The third draws a circle on the ground, throws the money into the air, and prays loudly, "O Lord God, whatever You wish that should go to the poor, You can keep and distribute as You see fit!" -- and whatever falls back to the ground, the teacher keeps.

    There needs to be a commitment to simple, natural truth in any discussion of ethics, and one example (among so many) is the Republican idea that giving money to the rich "trickles down" through the "free market" to the poor. Most of them use this argument to convince themselves that they ARE helping the poor -- by helping the rich first. They've even convinced themselves that this is a more effective and efficient way of serving the poor than, say, "government giveaways."

    Thirty years of experience with "trickle down economics" makes it perfectly clear that they are taking the third teacher's approach to serving the poor. In fact, "trickle down" is little more than a coat of paint on the laissez faire economics of the 1800's, and I'm certain you could trace this recurring self-deception back centuries. So we, as a species and as a civilization, have a lot more than thirty years' experience with this.

    The same is true of issues like global warming. "I'm not a scientist" means that maybe they should hire one for their staff, and actually listen to what he or she has to say.

    God does not always work in mysterious ways. In fact, some of his ways are so darn consistent and obvious that we've been able to call it "natural law" and pretend it has nothing to do with God. If someone like Senator Cruz willfully ignores these consistencies and retreats into a fantasy world where God snatches money out of the air for the poor, or gasoline prices will go down if we pray hard enough, there's a deeper issue than merely chiding them for not following Jesus' ethical prescriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Joseph. I know a lot of our governmental leaders do think their policies are actually helping. That said, I also know a lot of our politicians are very adept at sounding good while blatantly using the system for their own good. I don't know if efforts like mine will make a difference: this effort to consider how an ethic of love of neighbor could have practical down-to-earth effects in a person's politics. But all of us who care need to keep on trying, keep on speaking out and articulating these core values. Thanks for your feedback. Blessings...

      Delete
    2. Beautifully stated Joseph. I could not agree more. To Charlotte, Thank You for bringing this important issue to the attention of many who would have ignored it.

      Delete
  3. Mark 12:41-44

    41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

    42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

    43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

    44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jenniebee! But what a challenge for those of us who like to "put our two cents in" while avoiding any real risk of living with such faith. Thanks for your input! Blessings...

      Delete
  4. Charlotte, I just came across your musings and am so very grateful for your prophetic challenges and powerful words...written with love and humbleness. I look forward to following your musings and being engaged in dialogue. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I saw you read "The New and Living Way" blog as well. As I commented back to you there: "I'm glad we found each other!" You might be interested in following my Living in The Story Facebook page. Check it out and see what you think. https://www.facebook.com/livinginthestory
      Blessings...

      Delete
  5. Charlotte, I just came across your musings and am so very grateful for your prophetic challenges and powerful words...written with love and humbleness. I look forward to following your musings and being engaged in dialogue. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! Any of us who claim to be "Christian" and followers of "Christ" must be held accountable when we blatantly go against the teachings and the way of Christ. The Jesus who called us to love neighbor is the one who showed us who our neighbors actually are: "the forgotten and hated people..." Some churches actually do this neighbor thing pretty well but institutional Christianity still has a lot of work to do - and an awful lot of repenting to do. I really like your comments. Thanks so much for your feedback. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad I found your blog. It seems so simple really, one can accept the precepts in any religion that teach human beings to be kind to each other or one can accept the punishment and pain precepts that religions represent. The choice says more about each practitioner than the practice and it's nice to see thoughtful introspection about the realities of both.

    ReplyDelete