Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reflections on the Anniversary of my Ordination


Seventeen years ago, in a small white clapboard church building, I received my ordination into Christian ministry.

 It was ordination not into my particular denomination, even though the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) had prepared me and affirmed me for this calling. Rather my ordination designated me as a minister representing the whole body of Christ in service to the world. Then again, my personal understanding of my call comes from Ephesians: pastors are gifted by the Spirit “to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity…”

I sense a contradiction here. Is the pastor called to serve the world? Or is the pastor’s work to equip the church to serve the world? Are sermons always preaching to the choir? Or is there really a way to proclaim the good news of God made known in Jesus Christ to people who don’t know? Or all of the above?
Seventeen years ago, I was amazed and grateful to find myself a minister in a local congregation with my name on the door and a place in the pulpit. I never would have imagined. Now, seventeen years later, I am pondering what it means to find myself a minister without a church or a pulpit. These are days for self-reflection and evaluation. These are days for re-imagining and dreaming. What does it mean to be a minister outside the church box?
I’m remembering my first life. I was a starched, hopeful RN in my polished white shoes. I remember well the instructions from my first Director of Nursing as I prepared for my first ever nursing job: “White hose, white uniform, white hat. You know – just look like a nurse.” I remember the sometimes intimidating awareness that, as I walked those long hallways in my white shoes, behind every door there was a real person with a real story and some real need. I’m sure I made a difference for some: kind words and gentle smiles and encouragements always make some kind of a difference. But I became exhausted jumping through the hoops of the patriarchal doctors and the profiteering administrators so that finally I walked down that long hallway and out the door. That’s when I discovered community nursing, wearing blue jeans to the volunteer pre-natal clinic we created, working on the front line with passionate collaborators to do something fresh and creative; to put even a small patch on those endless gaping holes that are so prevalent in our society.
Is this where I am again?
Much has been written about clergy burnout in recent days; about the number of people who leave the ministry; about the suicide rates, heart attacks and depression of those who invest their lives in service to the church and then find themselves and their work disrespected and dismissed. I know a lot about that - as did my father before me.
Of course there is burnout in plenty of other professions as well. Of course the work is hard, challenging, even intimidating in healthcare fields, social services vocations, criminal justice systems. There seems to be something about the personalities of people who go into these areas of work: we are the helpers, the fixers, the martyrs and we flock to the jobs where we feel like we can make a difference in the lives of people.
But as difficult as it is for me to carry the pain and suffering of people given into my care, that’s not really the part that drags me down and chokes the life out of me. Rather it’s the startling disconnect between sharing in one person’s pathos while at the same time enduring another person’s apathy. I remember a church Board meeting: I sat in the room with a heart burdened over the disintegrating marriage of a couple who desperately needed faith and community and hope. But the discussion of the church leaders that evening centered around the dirty coffee cups that had been left in the kitchen sink. I remember the criticism of a woman who said my cross dangle ring distracted her whenever I broke the bread at the Lord’s Table.
“What the heck am I doing here?!” I asked myself.
And then - I sit with women at the local homeless shelter, exploring how the Bible connects (or maybe doesn’t connect) with the challenges of their lives. I serve communion to a gay couple who had no idea church could be a safe and welcoming community. I figure out how to schedule marriage counseling sessions around a couple’s jail time.  I blog my thoughts about intersections between faith, culture and politics into a secular cyberspace community and I hear people comment that they had no idea Christian ministers could be inclusive and open-minded.

“Where is your passion?” I have asked my own children. “What is it that feeds your soul and gives you energy? Go there. Follow that.” This mother voice is now encouraging me to believe in my passion even in the midst of discouragement and lethargy. I’m trying to listen.
And I’m learning to trust – yet again. When I stopped trying to “look like a nurse,” when I walked away from the hospital box, I had no idea what a large world awaited me. When I took the fork in the road to ordination and walked away from the fundamentalist box of my youth, I had no idea how large the whole church of Jesus Christ would be. 
Now ordained ministry takes another turn and I can’t see beyond the bend ahead of me. The box that once seemed so large now feels too small.

I have loved ministry. I just don't know what a minister out of the box looks like right now. 
                                             And where will this go?
     God only knows.






Charlotte Vaughan Coyle, 2014
October 12, 1997




No comments:

Post a Comment